Trading Post | Schoolhouse | Keelboat | Peter Norbeck Childhood Home | WNAX Building | Pioneer Cemetery
Video Previews | Maps & Directions | Arrange a Group Tour | Contact Us | Home

  The Original Papineau Trading Post

T
he Original Papineau Trading Post (1857-1885), the first Charles Mix County Seat, is the central attraction in The Historic Village. "Papineau" was the nickname given to Cuthbert DuCharme, originally from Quebec, Canada.

Papineau was one of the very first pioneers to the Charles Mix County area, making his living as a farmer, rancher and business owner. One such business was his now famous Trading Post, a place to trade furs and find a shot or two of whiskey. His clientele included Native Americans, fur traders, trappers, soldiers and other settlers, not to mention squatters. The often rough crowd he served inspired tales long and tall of the dramatic episodes that once took place in the Trading Post.

 Papineau is the object of The $25 Million Legend of Geddes. Click here to read all about it!

 Click here to read more about the history of The Original Papineau Trading Post

 Photo Gallery:

This site created by: